Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Librivox), Part A

All the way back in Week 2's Reading Options assignment I was interested in the Brothers Grimm (Crane) because I liked that while they were still fairytales, they were different from you typical fairytales. I was a little torn on whether to go with Crane or Librivox, but I enjoyed the other Librivox stories that I read, so I decided to try listening to the stories again. 


Rapunzel

I loved the Barbie movie of this tale and I've read a bunch of different versions of it! All the versions have put their own little spin on it though so they don't get boring. I've had trouble coming up with retellings for stories that have many versions so maybe I'll do a diary entry and tell it from a different perspective. Or maybe I could figure out why the witch locked Rapunzel away in the first place. The story never said she was jealous of her beauty and she didn't have magic hair like in Tangled. It would be interesting to see why she wasn't more of a mother to her.

(Photo from Giphy)

The Traveling Musicians

I really enjoyed this story and thought all the animals working together and finding the house was really cute. It was like something out of a movie with a rag-tag gang of unlikely friends coming together for a common goal. It honestly kind of reminded me of Avatar the Last Airbender. If I were retelling this story I would make them all humans or I would listen to the last line of the story and check if they still were in the house after all this time.

Bibliography. Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm, an audiobook recording available at LibriVox based on a Project Gutenberg publication. Links to readings

No comments:

Post a Comment