Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Reading Notes: Canterbury Tales, Part A

I was first introduced to the Canterbury Tales my senior year of high school. We read a few stories, but I was gone for a golf tournament so I never actually read them. I also read a Storybook from last year that turned the Canterbury Tales into a murder-mystery and it was so interesting! The Canterbury Tales was fun to read because it felt like reading a Storybook for class.

The Franklin's Tale: The Promise of Dorigen

This was my favorite tale out of the three stories from Part A. I originally thought it would be hard to retell or make my own but then the ending asked us "now of these three generous men, which one was the most generous?" and that really made me start to think. That question opens up so many possibilities! There is also the idea to tell the story from different perspectives, like from the perspective of one of the three generous men, or from Dorigen's perspective, or maybe even from the rock's that disappear view. I think this retelling will be really original.

(Photo from Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography. The Chaucer Story Book by Eva March Tappan (1908). Link to readings

No comments:

Post a Comment