Monday, November 6, 2017

Reading Notes: English Fairy Tales, Part A

I read Aesop's Fables by Joseph Jacobs way back in Week 3, so I decided to give another collection of his stories a chance. I've heard different versions of a lot of these stories before, so that may cause me some issues with trying to make an original retelling because there have already been so many. This unit had audio recordings so I decided to try listening to the stories and it was very helpful! I really couldn't get distracted from the stories and flew right through them.


Cap O' Rushes

This was a cool "Cinderella" type story that was very different for most of the versions I've read or seen. In most stories, the dad loves her unconditionally which causes the stepmother to be jealous and that's why she punishes Cinderella when her father dies. I thought it was great that in this story, Cap O' Rushes definitely earned her rags to riches story. She was in control most of the time by knowing that she was the person who danced with the prince, then making sure the prince's love was real with the ring, and finally getting back at her dad with the unsalted food. 

The Story of the Three Little Pigs

I have a soft spot for the three little pigs because at my high school we did a fundraiser called Senior Serve where groups of seniors would choose a theme then decorate tables and dress up to the theme. You then invite family and friends and you serve them dinner. My two best friends and I chose the three little pigs for our theme! There are of course so many versions of this story but it might be fun to try one myself. I thought it was clever that the wolf tried to get the pig out of the house instead of trying to get into the house, that is until the end of course.

(The Three Little Pigs and our Big Bad Wolf.
Personal Photo from February, 2015)

Bibliography. English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1890). Links to readings

No comments:

Post a Comment