Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Reading Notes: Ancient Egyptian Myths and Stories, Part B

I'm really excited to read the rest of the Ancient Egyptian Myths! Part A was a little confusing and disjointed because of all the different stories. Part B should be more clear because it contains only three stories 


The Two Brothers

This story was my favorite by far! All four parts were really interesting and each one could have stood on it's own. Part 2 was my favorite because it was so different from what I was expecting. Every time that I was like "Oh no! This is going to happen!" it didn't and that was really refreshing to read. Of course, when the younger brother told his wife not to leave the house, you knew that at some point she was going to leave the house. The whole progression of this story flowed really well and was easy to read, so I enjoyed it a lot. The ending was also wonderful with both brothers coming out on top in the end. I don't know how I could change it to be better since it was so good so maybe telling it from a different perspective would be an interesting retelling.

The Book of Thoth

I liked this one less than The Two Brothers but it was still very good. This story was broken into three parts and I could have seen it ending after Part 2 because he had found the Book of Thoth and discovered it's magical powers, but nooooo! This one definitely was more tragic because literally everyone died and I don't know why that had to happen. The story never implied that Nefer-ka-ptah was going to do anything bad with the book, it seemed like he was just interested in the knowledge. The gods just seem to like to punish people to no end in these myths and it's kind of annoying. Thoth wasn't doing anything with the book so why not let someone else read it?!

(Gif from Rebloggy)


Bibliography. Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie, links to the reading

No comments:

Post a Comment