Thursday, September 7, 2017

Week 3 Story: The Wendy and the Sunni


There were once two sisters, Wendy and Sunni, who were always in competition with one another. Constantly trying to figure out who was the fastest, strongest, or smartest. One day they decided to figure out who made friends the best because there was a new family moving in across the street. The family had a little girl about their age so the sisters chose her as their new friend to make. Their older brother J.J., having overheard them make their little bet, reminded them:

“Kindness effects more than severity.”

Wendy just scoffed at him and told him to butt out and to quit being such a weirdo before heading across the street. Sunni disappeared inside leaving J.J. to watch Wendy’s attempt at making a new friend. She went right up to the new little girl and said, “You’re my friend now! We are gonna go over to my house and play!”

Wendy grabbed the girls hand to bring her across the street but the girl resisted. This caused Wendy to pull harder and insist more but the girl kept her feet firmly planted. Eventually, Wendy let go of the girls hand, whipped around, and snapped, “Fine! I didn’t want to be friends with you anyways!”

Wendy ran back over to the yard and stomped up the steps to where her brother was sitting on the porch. She sat down next to him in a huff with a pout on her lips and her arms crossed just as Sunni came back outside with a plate of cookies in one hand and a glass of milk in the other. She skipped across the street and right up to the neighbor girl, without spilling any milk somehow, and introduced herself, “Hi, I’m Sunni! I live across the street. What’s your name?”

“Barbara. Are those chocolate chip?” The girl asked pointing at the cookies.

“Yup! My mom just made them so they’re still warm and gooey. I also brought milk so we could dunk the cookies in it.” Sunni replied as she thrust the glass out towards her new friend. Barbara took a cookie from the plate, dunked it in the milk, and sat down on the edge of the porch so her legs hung off. Sunni sat down next to her with the plate between and they began to chat. After they finished their cookies, Sunni brought Barbara across the street and introduced her to Wendy and J.J. From there the three girls continued to play and went on to be great friends even if Barbara and Wendy got off to a rocky start.

(Photo from tinygreenmom)

Author’s Note: This is based on The Wind and the Sun, a fable about a competition between, you guessed it, the Wind and the Sun to see who is strongest. They decide the best way to figure this out is to see who can get the traveler on the road in front of them to take his coat off the fastest. The Wind goes first and blows as hard as he can to get the traveler to take his coat off, but it seems to have the opposite effect and the traveler just keeps pulling it tighter to keep warm. So the Wind gives up and now it’s the Sun’s turn. He shines brightly warming the traveler up enough that he immediately takes his coat off. The moral is that “kindness effects more than severity.”

I was trying to write this differently with the girls in high school and having a competition to see who made the most friends but it was coming out more like The Tortoise and the Hare in message and in story. I decided to make the girls younger and only have them try to make one friend. I think it’s pretty straight forward other than that. I hope you like their punny names (Sunni and Wendy) and I made their older brother J.J. for Joseph Jacobs, the folklorist who these fables came from. It turns out Barbara means travel in Greek and she is supposed to be the traveler from the original story so that is where that came from. I discovered I really don’t like retelling fables because I just want to write these long complex stories with a ton of dialogue. I loved reading them though but this will probably be my only fable story.

Bibliography. "The Wind and The Sun" from The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs. Web Source.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly! I really liked your take on the story. I was rally amazed by your creativity to turn the sun and the wind into actual humans. I think it was interesting that you named the people based off the folklorist and translating the Greek meaning of travel to english.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Kelly!
    I really liked this story! I honestly think the moral comes across better with the little girls instead of the sun and the wind. Knowing kids that age, I can definitely image this happening in real life. I also appreciated that Wendy and Barbara still managed to be friends, even though Wendy started out with "severity"

    ReplyDelete